Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A dream comes true. Órla’s Sacramento Performance, Nov09  (Read 7593 times)
greenfire6
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:41AM »

Last Thursday is a night to remember. Ever since discovery of CW and especially Órla Fallon I have dreamed of seeing her do a solo performance that would be largely of her own making. Well she exceeded my most pleasant wishes a thousand fold. This was “Pure Órla” and her talented and steady hand was on it all. I apologize for the length of this post but this was HUGE for me.

I’m glad Órla rejoined her solo career and now has her freedom to show us all her incredible talent. Yet Órla is so humble these current performances don’t even have a specific name beyond Órla Fallon in Concert or A Performance by Órla Fallon or similar. But then again those titles are more than adequate and represents how informal and relaxed she wants these appearances to be, me thinks.

It was like Órla carefully packed a box full of her favorite things, beautifully gift wrapped it and addressed it in her own hand: To my lovely American friends, with all my love, Órlagh. Then, like stepping out of an Irish mist, she appeared and handed us her gift. It was just that good!

This took place in the tiny KVIE TV studio which was set up to seat maybe 200 people- if that, on comfortable chairs. Órla’s performance, with her encore, went nearly one and a half hours. She was accompanied by her close friends Dan (keyboards, bodhran, and guitar) and Mary (fiddle, ukulele and backing vocals). The set list was primarily pieces from her latest album release Distant Shore with several important additions including Aililiu Na Gamhna and Isle of Innisfree. Of course Órla accompanied herself, standing so straight and tall, at her harp, for these and several pieces. Astonishingly, to my knowledge, KVIE didn’t even film this, let alone broadcast it!

I know how Órla lights up a large stage in a grand hall with CW. For years I have read in these Forums how Órla also “lights up” a small room when she enters. How true! Many of us shot to our feet* and everyone offered hearty applause when she walked in and took the small stage. Dan and Mary quietly sat at their instruments and without any introduction Órla opened singing a beautiful welcoming song- Homes of Donegal a cappella. You could hear a pin drop. Everyone was so taken back by her lovely delivery of this beautiful song and its warm message. It was perfect for setting the lovely tone of what was to come.

The best part for me is Órla’s performance didn’t go by too fast. I love CW live, but the numbers come at you so fast I can’t savor it the way I would like. Órla has a wonderful sense of tempo, rhythm, cadence- whatever you want to call it, in the way she speaks, sings- everything she does. Therefore, Órla cast this delightful ambience over her audience, slowing the presentation down, in telling much about the songs, the artist, the history, bits of growing up in tiny Knockananna, County Wicklow and poignant stories and events that inspired the four songs that have come from her own pen.

Órla provided cool little slips of lavender paper with the image of a harp on them that we could use to write her a question(s) along with our name and hometown. Then on two occasions she read and answered many questions. Órla did this by first reading the persons name and asking them to wave to her so she could address them specifically. What class!

The girl is clearly very comfortable on stage, loves people and loves performing and making the people happy. Órla’s performance was hands down the warmest, most personable and most beautiful I have ever seen, period. It’s also clear that Órla is a daughter of Ireland if there ever was one. She LOVES IRELAND!

For the informal “Meet ‘n Greet” the organizers had two tables (with chairs) set up for Órla to sit behind. Órla would have nothing to do with that seperation. She stood out front of the tables to meet and shake hands/hug her fans, sign their stuff and poise for pictures. Her grace in all this and genuine interest in her fans was breathtaking.

She graciously signed my four things (I had more but decided to cut back out of consideration for the other fans and Órla) and poised for three pictures with me. I shouldn’t have been surprised- Órla knows exactly who Pádraigín is- I didn’t need to explain at all. How cool is that?!!! Graciously, Órla wrote a kind message on something I had for Pádraigín.

I gave Órla a congratulations/thank you card that included a couple of small KSVL FM Radio bumper stickers. I want to think Órla will put those on her luggage, laptop or maybe her favorite watering can or little wagon back home in her garden. Then, should Órla have a low moment, she will see the sticker and be uplifted in knowing that her music is being regularly presented with great care and respect in rural Northern Nevada, USA.

Órla is like a most delightful contradiction- too sweet, kind and open to be real yet she is as real and authentic as they come with no airs about her at all. I thank God I know of Órla and had this opportunity to thank her personally for her music.

We are witnessing a great time for Celtic music and Órla Fallon! Go Órla Go!!!!

DAVID
*Actually Kasey leapt to his feet- I’m surprised his chair didn’t fly all the way back to the soundboard techs. Grin  You’re a great guy Kasey and a great fan for Órla.  Wink It was so good to meet you and your mom. Thank you again for your service and for bringing me THE CARDS!!! Hope to cross paths with you again- maybe SFTH Sac stop next spring!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:26PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45AM »

CONGRATS!

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00PM »

David,

I knew your write up would be worth waiting for!!!  I could feel like I was there, and how incredible it all was.  I am soooooooo happy for you!!!

Kelli

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:12PM »

David,
Great Review!
As you said this is pure Orlagh!
I always had a sense that her demeanor for her own Solo concerts would vary greatly from what we saw of her with CW, and even Jim Brickman.
It's not surprising that she would choose to be more intimate with her audience. She sure does Love her fans!
I think with her (obviously being a artist) numbers are important, but the message she sends is what really matters to her.
I am so glad all of you who attended, got this opportunity. Let's hope many, many more folks will in the future.
She is, to be sure, a very special Lady, and just a remarkable talent. I knew this from the first I ever saw her perform.
(and I'm a performer myself, and am Incredibly picky about my musical likes and dislikes!)
We are hoping for much success for Orlagh, and I believe that with the people she will touch in this type setting, success will be hers. And she will have earned it on her own terms.
Glad you liked the cards.
Bruce

and YES! STILL...... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
howard

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17PM »

Hi David,

Just a wonderful review...
I can't wait to meet Orla myself.

Best Regards,
Howard

SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14PM »

David,

To quote Kasey, "WOW. JUST......WOW" !!!!!!!

Orla is truly a gift....to the music world, to Ireland, and to her fans.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and evening with us. Glad you and Diane could be there to support her with some of our other forum friends!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
greenfire6
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:22AM »

Images moved to opening post, up thread.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:28PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Antiup

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:32AM »

what a great review. I mean that too. You capture everything.

The chair was lucky to make it through the show. Orlagh justed rocked this show. I am truly lucky to have been a part of the audience.

All I can still say is "WOW... Just WOW!!!!! again.

And I am still part of the smiling club  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57PM »

Kasey, How do you real feel about our Orlagh?

She is fantastic, isn't she?

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
tc84
Total Fanatic

"Everywhere you go let your dreams surround you!"

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:22AM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!

first i have to say:

ÓRLAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now:
What a wonderful review!!! You made me feel - while reading - that i actually have been there along with all of you!!!
I'm soooo happy that you had such a good time!!!!
Órlagh is just... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really do hope that there will be a (LEGAL) recording of her Solo-Concert at some point at least for the European Fans!
I LOVE those Pictures!!!!!! OMG - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!

To finish this post:
ÓRLAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Love!!!
coco xxx

"I think as a women we have so many other things to do in life, very important things, but also we have to be mothers and to support our children and guide them. Because (...) we all need guidance, don´t we?"
(C Zeta Jone 2005)
Antiup

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 02:33AM »

Kasey, How do you real feel about our Orlagh?

She is fantastic, isn't she?

Words can not do it justice. WOW!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 07:23AM »

You got that right  Kasey

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
greenfire6
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:34AM »

I hope everyone living outside the US will have their special evenings with Órla and more special eveningss with Celtic Woman than they have had so far. I tried to keep my post from reading like gloating but that's pretty hard when so excited to tell about it.  Smiley

Everytime I drop in on this Forum I am amazed and inspired by the patience of all the longsuffering fans around the world.

I pray the day soon arrives for each and every one of you. Until then... please hang on to your fanship. Your reward will be that much sweeter!!!  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: