Anyone is familiar with EMT system here?

(1/2) > >>

Lugiahua:
I guess it's not the best place to ask EMT questions here, but I don't know any medical related forums around.

so, basically I am thinking about taking EMT-B course from a nearby college next semester to help my community, but on their websites says that the requirement for enrolling such class was

"CPR for Professional Rescuer (Red Cross) American Heart for the Healthcare Provider or ASHI CPR PRO. CPR must be verified as listed in Title 22: "equivalent to the standards of the American Heart Association Guidelines 2000 for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care at the Healthcare Provider level as a prerequisite for admission into an EMT Basic Course.""

I was really confused by this level requirement since there are several CPR systems around in US. (the one I am more familiar with was in alphabetical order)
then I went to AHA website, couldn't find "CPR for healthcare provider", but there is a "BLS for healthcare provider".

I was just certified in US for CPR, but guess it's the community level or something.
The BLS course was only one day long, if this was the required level, I might just take it during the summer.

hesprit:
Your best bet is to contact whichever organization you feel most comfortable with directly and explain to them what you are looking for.  They can then let you know if they will be holding an appropriate course anytime soon.  Since the CPR training for EMTs and other healthcare providers does have differences from the "regular" CPR taught to the general public, you may have to try each of the providers listed to find a course that is both local and within the time frame you need.

Lugiahua:
well, one thing I felt very annoy was that every agency used completed different terminology on everything...
American Heart Association, Red Cross, NAEMT, and American College of Surgeons all made their own terms and standards.

Maggie:
Quote from: Lugiahua on May 19, 2011, 02:23AM

well, one thing I felt very annoy was that every agency used completed different terminology on everything...
American Heart Association, Red Cross, NAEMT, and American College of Surgeons all made their own terms and standards.

Your first post quoted this:
"CPR must be verified as listed in Title 22: "equivalent to the standards of the American Heart Association Guidelines 2000 for
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care at the Healthcare Provider level as a prerequisite for admission into an EMT Basic Course.""

On the AHA website it says:
f you need further assistance in locating a course, please call our National Service Center at 1-877-AHA-4CPR.
That's 1-877-242-4277 ..... just read to them the above quote.

I searched the AHA site and I think this may be what you need:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/HealthcareTraining/AdvancedCardiovascularLifeSupportACLS/The-Handbook-of-Emergency-Cardiovascular-Care-for-Healthcare-Providers_UCM_308747_Article.jsp

hesprit:
Quote from: Lugiahua on May 19, 2011, 02:23AM

Yes, each organization does have slightly different standards and may use different terminology but the truth is the basics of CPR will be very similar no matter which organization you go through.  In addition, when you actually take the EMT course, you will be trained in techniques and skills which enhance the CPR training.

Also, one thing I'd like to clarify .. the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians actually does not do specific training of their own.  They do not, for example, actually train EMTs.  NAEMT is an organization that promotes the business.  They offer some continuing education, but they do not certify EMTs's, you must get that training and certification locally.  Each state has their own standards, training and tests, and many do not permit you to treat patients across state lines, or limit such treatments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page