Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Believe Review/Comments WARNING: Spoilers possible!  (Read 11845 times)
carl

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46AM »

I wish they had left in the "instruction" given my Lisa k and Chloe on "Green Grow the Rushes Oh" ... too bad ... the teasing and friendly competition of right and left audience for the sing along was so cute ... hopefully it is including in the "extras" of the DVD.

Even with the audio problem with PBA's showing, the show was great ... I was powerful ... beautiful ...
worldtraveler

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10AM »

I saw Believe on Saturday, and needless to say, I thought it was great!  Lisa L did a superb job.  I was happy that she got such a prominent role in "Téir Abhaile Riú"; the spoon playing was a great touch.  I also think that "A Spaceman Came Travelling" was my favorite solo.  Of the group songs, I'd say that "Awakening" and "The Parting Glass" were my favorites.
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 11:22AM »

Omg! I loved the almost all of the group songs! They were all amazing! The only one I didn't particularly care for was A Woman's Heart. Its a beautiful song and the girls, of course, sing it so well, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the show! The solos were perfect! LOVED Lil Lambe's Black Is The Colour! I know there's CT fans here, but I think her version totally blew Ryan Kelly's out of the water! I loved the softer version that she sang. Plus Lisa's movements were almost sensual which really brought the song to life. And I also loved Teir Abhaile Riu! Loved seeing the girls up there dancing and having a blast on the stage! AMAZING!!!
David Knisely

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07AM »

I have to call this Believe performance their best since Slane Castle.  I like it more than I did "Songs From The Heart" (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with SFTH), and I hope most of these songs make it onto the tour.  This just gave me a bigger reason to have a few days in April next year reserved for their tour stop in Kansas City.  Now, if I can just hang on for a couple more weeks until December 21st (and hope for good weather), so I can hear them in Denver on their last stop in the Symphony tour.  The drive to Denver will be longer (480 miles), but it should go fast as long as nobody "Lets It Snow"  Grin 
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 07:22AM »

I`ve seen it three times in two days, didn`t notice any "glitches". Love LL doing the "Spaceman" number.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:27AM »

I saw it yesterday for the first time... and I'm still in awe......
I LOVED Lil' Lambe's A Spaceman Came Traveling! Smiley  She always looks like she's having so much fun! Smiley

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 10:20AM »

I just wish they had't cut out so many awesome songs when they were airing it! Walking The Night, Tears In Heaven (which, unless its on the tour, we'll probably never see), Smile, and My Heart Was Home Again (my favorite song from SFTH tour!)
David Knisely

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 05:51PM »

I just wish they had't cut out so many awesome songs when they were airing it! Walking The Night, Tears In Heaven (which, unless its on the tour, we'll probably never see), Smile, and My Heart Was Home Again (my favorite song from SFTH tour!)

I think the DVD will  have at least some of these songs, as the PBS Pledge Break "advertisements" mentioned that the DVD they were offering for pledges had "bonus" tracks not seen in the broadcast. 
Gail

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35AM »

The only song I did not like having in the show (being as it is women singing) was "Black Is the Colour' and I wished that Lisa had not used those "sensual" hand jestures and very sexy, flirty facial expressions -- because having her sing it, to me, made that song's mood seem lesbianish, and being a fundamental Christian (but NOT a conservative Republican [I am a moderate Democrat]), that whole particular song set-up made me feel very awkward, and I was glad when that song was done......even though Lisa DID do a marvelous performance. As she started the song, I hoped that the words were changed so that she would be singing about a man, therefore, when the words stayed original, I was put off by that song's being included in their concert -- or not changed to be regarding a man.
Gerard

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 01:40PM »

I think the DVD will  have at least some of these songs, as the PBS Pledge Break "advertisements" mentioned that the DVD they were offering for pledges had "bonus" tracks not seen in the broadcast.  

Indeed. Here are the songs that will be on the DVD that were not aired in the special:

My Heart Was Home Again
Smile (was that the Charlie Chaplin song ?)
Walking The Night

Songs that will not be featured on the CD (alas!):

My Heart Was Home Again
A Tribute to Broadway
Mna na Eireann
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:49AM by Gerard » Logged
TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 02:22PM »

The only song I did not like having in the show (being as it is women singing) was "Black Is the Colour' and I wished that Lisa had not used those "sensual" hand jestures and very sexy, flirty facial expressions -- because having her sing it, to me, made that song's mood seem lesbianish, and being a fundamental Christian (but NOT a conservative Republican [I am a moderate Democrat]), that whole particular song set-up made me feel very awkward, and I was glad when that song was done......even though Lisa DID do a marvelous performance. As she started the song, I hoped that the words were changed so that she would be singing about a man, therefore, when the words stayed original, I was put off by that song's being included in their concert -- or not changed to be regarding a man.
I can understand the movements and facial expressions a bit, but on the subject of a woman singing a song about a woman, it's actually not all that uncommon in music.  Cara Dillon also sang Black is the Colour, but it is also directed to a woman as was Meav's cover of She Moved Through the Fair and Lynn's cover of My Lagan Love.

On top of that, I've sung in various choirs since I was 9, many of them exclusively for the female voice--a lot of the songs we sang dealt romantically with a woman despite the fact that we were a women's chorale.  Having majored in music for a short period of time, I also had to perform a lot of songs and arias that once again were directed to a woman.  It isn't all that unusual; that's probably why I wasn't bothered by Lisa Lambe's performance in the slightest.  I'm not trying to fuel an argument here, I just want to show a different perspective. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:27PM by TheWhite~Rose » Logged
Gerard

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 04:54PM »

And it happens also in France. For exaple, originally, "Plaisir d'Amour" was sung by a man, but it has been covered by so many women (from Nana Mouskouri to Judy Collins) that it's considered a woman's song (despite the lover's name being Sylvie). And recently, Nolwenn Leroy has covered Alan Stivell's Suite Sudarmoricaine, a raunchy song about a man who tells how he lost his manhood because of a girl he met at a local celebration. She also reprised Whiskey in the Jar, changing it into a song about a highwaywoman being btrayed by her man.
Gail

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 09:02PM »

I have heard "Black is the Colour" sung before -- but usually by a man. I have not heard Lynn's version of "Lagan Love" because -- as I noted -- having a lack of money from no work, I have not been able to buy even the DVD's that I want to catch up on (the Christmas one that was Maeve's last tour with CW, and now Believe).

Maeve's "She Walked Through The Fair" is a different situation, because the singer (Maeve) is "telling" about a woman walking through a Renaissance era Faire and sharing with others her news that she is going to be married to a certain young (?) man soon.

My first hearing of "Lagan Love" was by Alex in the Slane Castle concert (I DO have that DVD), and her performance of that song did not bother me either, because she sang it as if telling of a man talking about the woman he loved.

Lisa Lambe's version of "Black is the Colour" bothered me because -- performing it as sexually and flirty as she did, made her singing of the song as if she was conveying HER romantic love for the woman in the song.  Whenever I do get "Believe", I will simply skip over that particular song, enjoying all the rest of that wonderful concert.

Gail

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 09:23PM »

Before this " premature, involuntary retirement " forced me out of work (our company's work fell off to almost nothing due to the bad job situation in the U.S. -- we dealt with employees injured on the job.....and if almost no one is working, YOUR job is then affected) -- I was able to purchase the DVD's of Celtic Woman's first concert from the Helix Center, then later "A New Journey, and later still "Songs From The Heart".

I am itching to buy that Chrismas one, which I found on Amazon, and now this latest "Believe" one.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:32PM by Gail » Logged
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 05:50AM »

My first hearing of "Lagan Love" was by Alex in the Slane Castle concert (I DO have that DVD), and her performance of that song did not bother me either, because she sang it as if telling of a man talking about the woman he loved.
Alex was not with Celtic Woman when A New Journey: Live At Slane Castle (2006) was filmed. "My Lagan Love" is not on the Slane Castle (ANJ) DVD...it's from Songs From The Heart.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: